Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor Day from Heck!

Dear Best Friend,

My son came home from the hospital yesterday.  I had a late night talking with him about some of his depression issues since he was having a hard time getting to sleep.  I stayed up with him until after 1 am.  I felt like the night went really well and it seemed like he opened up and appreciated my attention.

This morning I had planned to take the kids on a short hike and out to lunch at Taco Bell.  My oldest son was in a bad mood and did not want to go with us, and the other two kids weren't all that excited about it either.  My son wanted to go to the mall which I would have said no to, but my husband told him that he would take him after we went on the hike and had lunch.  However, even that wasn't good enough for him. He had to go right then.  I was so angry and we went to lunch with me being ticked off.  In fact I told the kids that I was tired of being treated badly.  All I asked was for a few hours of their time and then they could go and do whatever they wanted to do.  It didn't seem like too much to ask for us to spend 2 hours together on a holiday.

When we got back into the car I insisted that we go home and that my oldest son sit on his bed.  I also took away his cell phone and actually spent a few minutes going through the texts.  I found out that during those hours I stayed up well into the night talking to him, he was texting his friend and calling me the "b" word.  In fact he had called me that about 10 times.  I also found that his was planning to sneak into the movie with his stepbrother because they didn't have any money.  I flipped out and yelled at my son and then left the house taking the dog for a walk in order to calm down.

I wasn't more than 5 houses down the street when I heard the sirens from the fire station.  I knew they were for our house but I still finished my walk because I was just so upset.  When I got back I found out that my son called 9-1-1, telling them he was going to kill himself and so they took him back to the hospital he just left. 

I am so totally frustrated right now.  I don't know how to help him.

-Your Best Friend

No comments: